Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Technology & Truth

So Monday we got the opportunity to do 3D ultrasound and we got great close ups of Rilynn! It was absolutely amazing to be able to see such detailed images of a baby who has not been born yet. This picture was my personal favorite...
… I loved how her face, hand, and foot were all scrunched up together! It was also nice to see that she has a good arch to her foot and not my brother's hobbit-like box feet. We got about 35 pictures of her and were able to deduce that she has her uncle Ryan's full lips, her aunt Lindzy's long fingers, her daddy's chubby baby cheeks, and my basic features! It was so exciting to be able to more accurately imagine what she is going to look like. I can't wait until August to see how accurate these 3D images were and what other family resemblance's she may have :) 

While we were able to watch our baby dance around on a giant projector screen, two questions kept racing through my mind. One, how can people see this and not think it's a baby in there. I believe that anyone considering abortion should be required to have a 3D ultrasound so they can be fully aware of what it is they are "eliminating". We use words like "fetus" in order to de-humanize the babies affected by abortion, mostly to make ourselves feel better, but looking at these pictures, how can anyone argue that the living, kicking, yawning, hiccuping thing in there is NOT a human being? Blows my mind….It's a baby on the inside, and it's the same baby on the outside, and the technology we have today to allow us to see images like these should only make that truth more evident. 

The second question that kept coming to me was…How can anyone experience, first hand or second hand, the miraculous process of human development (pregnancy from the inside) and then birth and not believe in God. There are so many things that have to happen, and happen perfectly, for a human being to be developed, so many details and stages that can't be skipped. How can something so complex be the product of anything other than an Intelligent Designer who knew exactly what, when, and how everything needed to take place? If anything, seeing and feeling our baby grow at each stage, even before she is born, has absolutely validated the fact that there is a God who loves us. He takes the time to stitch each of us together in exactly the way He wants us. It is humbling to think that the Creator of the Universe cares enough about each of us to take a personal interest in us even before we are born into the world. Thinking on this leaves me grateful and awestruck at how amazing the God we serve is. I pray I never take for granted the blessing of being His.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Lauren! I agree completely that pregnancies are a unique opportunity to see God's hand at work in the most intimate way - and how exciting that technology has advanced to the point that we can get a glimpse into that amazing process of design. And I loved being able to see sweet Rilynn's face!! So excited for you guys!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right Lauren! I remember my first sonogram of my oldest - I was only 4 wks pregnant and the tiny flutter of that heartbeat was one of the most amazing TRUTHS I had ever witnessed. And that was 23 yrs ago, long before 3d ultrasounds. Thank you for sharing this sweet pic of Rillyn <3

    ReplyDelete